Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A Simple Story Remembered!

My Mom was diagnosed with kidney cancer and 4 months later passed away.  She fought a great fight and with a very faithful spirit passed away on January 2, 2000....My Dad was a very stubborn Sicilian Italian, that my Mom took great care of all of the time.

After my Mom passed away, my Dad created a memorial of her with pictures everywhere!  When you walked in the door there she was, she was in the kitchen, in the bathroom, in the bedroom and not just once but several times.  His heart was broken, the love of his life was gone.  They were married for 53 years when my Mom passed.

There were several moments when I realized all that my Mom had done for my Dad....and most of them funny!  He would call to tell me things like he couldn't find the soap!  I would tell him to look in the cabinet in his bathroom and he still couldn't find it, then I realized I had not bought soap lately and I'm sure he hadn't, so of course there was no soap! I'm guessing that he thought there was an endless supply of soap, since my Mom would never let it run out!   I would have to run to the store for him, and believe me I had no problem with this at all, but he would tell me to get 3 pieces of bologna, and I would buy 6 he would ask why and I told him that with 6 kids it was hard to get to the grocery every 2 days like my mom would to get 3 pieces of bologna.  He just didn't get it, I was an only child, so he had no idea of what it took to have 6 kids.

But one day, I got this very very excited phone call from my Dad....he had boiled an egg and completely beside himself!  He just could not believe that he was able to do that.  So I congratulated him, and cheered him on, and told him I was so very proud of him.  About a half hour later he called me back and told me he thought he had done something wrong to the egg.  I asked him what he thought the problem was, he said it was with the yolk!  I again asked him, what was the problem with the yolk?  He said that it was yellow all around!  I said that that was PERFECT!!!  He said no!  That every egg my Mom had ever boiled had green around the yolk, so there was definitely something wrong with his!  I could not stop laughing.....I told him that Mom had ALWAYS over cooked the eggs and that's why the greenish color to the yolk....I told him that what he had done was perfect and I had wished I could cook them that perfect!  His answer was:  "Well, I think I'm going to put this back in the pot and let it cook some more, I certainly don't want to eat an egg different from how your Mom cooked it!!"...... I.....LMBO!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment